We take your security seriously and have several features in place to help protect your account from fraudulent debit card activity.
- Card Management Tool – With our debit card controls found in Digital Banking, you can temporarily lock your card or set alert preferences, spending limits, or restrictions based on location, merchant type, or transaction type.
- EMV Chip Card Technology – Chip technology protects your information when used at a chip-enabled terminal.
- $0 Liability Guarantee – If your card is lost or stolen, Citizens Bank will credit fraudulent charges back to your account as soon as the next business day.1
- Fraud Monitoring – Reviews how and where your card is being used and looks for abnormal patterns that might indicate fraud. If potentially fraudulent use of your debit card is detected, you will be contacted by our automated Fraud Prevention Notification System.
- Daily Spending Limits – You can choose a daily spending limit up to $1,500 or the balance in your account, whichever is less. We recommend choosing a limit that is appropriate for your individual spending habits. If you are planning to make a one-time larger purchase, call us during business hours and request a temporary increase.
- Geographic Restrictions – Because a large portion of fraudulent debit card activity takes place in foreign countries, we’ve blocked international debit card use, unless you let us know that you will be traveling abroad. We also place temporary restrictions on signature-based debit card transactions in certain states or industries when we become aware of high fraud activity in those areas. PIN based transactions will still work in these cases. See any current restrictions below.
Call us when you plan to travel and we’ll make sure you’re able to use your card wherever you’re going.
1 The $0 Liability Guarantee covers fraudulent transactions made by others using your Citizens Bank debit card. To be covered, report transactions made by others promptly, and don't share personal or account information with anyone.
Debit Card Safety Tips
- As soon as you get your new card, call to activate it, and sign the back of the card.
- Use the card management tool found in Digital Banking to temporarily lock your card, if needed, or to set up alerts.
- Review your monthly statement or your account activity online to confirm all transactions are yours. Report any errors or unknown charges immediately by calling us at 262-363-6500.
- After you have handed your card to a merchant for a purchase, make sure that the card is actually yours when it is given back (and not the card of someone else). Keep your charge slip and destroy any carbons.
- Never give out your account number or PIN to anyone who contacts you.
- If you lose your card, or if it is stolen, report it immediately by calling us at 262-363-6500. If calling after business hours, call 1-888-297-3416.
- If you suspect fraud on your debit card, report it immediately by calling our card service center at 1-855-293-2456.
There's been an increase in debit card fraud originating both domestically and internationally. At this time, we have temporarily stopped the ability for debit cards to be used by swiping, the internet, or telephone origination in:
- ALL STATES - Fallback transactions (when a chip card fails at a chip-enabled terminal, forcing the cardholder to swipe the magnetic strip). Debit cards can still be used but will need to have a Personal Identification Number (PIN) for authentication.
- All debit cards (both consumer & business) are restricted for international usage.
If you plan to use your debit card while traveling, please contact us at 262-363-6500. We will remove any restrictions that may impact your destination.